Saturday, November 24, 2012

Meet Francesca, the dresser

Francesca started out like many dressers, stained your basic brown and coated with a sealer.  Over the years, the brown became more drab and the sealer was bruised, beat up and flaking.


She was just waiting for this makeover.


Yet I waited patiently for my shipment of Miss Mustard Seed's Tricycle Red Milk Paint. This was my first experience with her paint and it HAD to be Tricycle Red.  HAD to be.

Oh, such pretty packaging
After applying my first coat, I waited like an evil genius:  rubbing my hands together by my face, chanting something like, "Chip away, my pretty, chip away."  But, alas, no chipping.  I applied the second coat, still an evil genius, but definitely less conviction.  There was a little "wanna-be" chipping going on in a few places.  I put on a third coat, and not much more.  I had read (as I read all Miss Mustard Seed's posts), that this can happen, and the paint is unpredictable.  So, I just went with it and decided to whip out the sander and go to work.


After distressing,  I layered with clear and dark waxes.  The nooks and crannies of this piece screamed for some dark wax.  The top was stripped, stained, coated with polyurethane and then layers of wax, as I can't get enough of a wax finish.

Loving the dovetail construction

She is still "my pretty".  Francesca is available for the taking (unless she was swooped up this weekend at the big Holiday Event) at Robin's Egg.


Debbie



2 comments:

  1. I love this dresser redo, its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous transformation! I love the red!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete