Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Birch Tree Coat Rack

When I saw this little baby on Craigslist, I thought it looked like a tree.  And I have an affinity for birch trees.  So, after a few layers of paint, I'm hoping I achieved the look.  (***crossing fingers that you think so; no fine artist degree here***).

Here she is before, in all here orange pine stained glory:


And here she is after **trying** to achieve the look:


Am I the only one seeing it?  I think the design lends itself to a tree.  Or maybe I just need to get out of living in the woods.


I started with a base white after priming.  Then I added a tiny bit of black to the white to make a very light gray.  I used a large bristle brush so it would create a texture kind of look.  Then I added the black and brown "bark characteristics" of the birch tree with an artist's brush.  I thought much of that was too highlighted, so I went over those parts with the light gray again.  Three coats of polyacrylic later, and here she stands.



Everyone needs a place to hang their Christmas hats.  ;)  If you need a place to hang your Christmas hats, she's for sale at Robin's Egg.

Debbie


Sharing with: 









9 comments:

  1. Popping over from Better After - this is AWESOME!!! What a vision you have, you did a fantastic job. It looks so realistic. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also from Better After. This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the Craigslist search begins! I must have this!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on the under $100 link party. THIS IS AWESOME. I must make one!!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, i love that! saw your feature on blue cricket, and had to come over and tell you how great this is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You brought pleasure to my day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Definitely lends itself to a tree look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using a mobile app: If you're using a mobile device, you can download video downloader apps from the app store. These apps allow you to download MP4 video in various formats, including MP3.

    ReplyDelete