Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A New Life for an Old Crib

Stop!  Don't throw away that crib!  The crib you hold dear because it saw those treasured first years of your children's lives.  Even the times when they reached into their diaper and . . . . . I think you get the drift.  But still, they hold memories.  You might think it's insane to store it for your grandchildren, knowing you can't pass it down because infant safety regulations practically change on a daily basis.

A friend of mine was thinking the same thing.  She gave me the two longest ends of her crib.  And it was a beauty.


She wanted me to make a bench out of the pieces, knowing I had tackled the project before with numerous beds.  She was looking to use greys and browns and keep it rustic.  I hope I delivered.


Sorry about the sun spots, but this baby was a beast and I couldn't drag it out too far from the garage without calling 911.


I decided to keep the sides extra long as the look of the piece lent itself to a more "majestic" design and I wanted to keep the integrity of her crib, so she sees it every time she looks at the bench.


After attaching the sides with pocket holes and building in the seat base, I coated the whole thing with a dark brown paint/primer.  I then haphazardly brushed on dark grey paint then rubbed in lighter grey paint.


After some light distressed, I coated with a furniture wax that I added a bit of stain to, creating a darker wax.


The "established" was hand-painted to give it a more personal touch.  And just in case her husband forgot their anniversary year.


So, think twice before you throw away those memories.  You can always upcycle into something new.


I promise the next time I make a bench from a bed or crib, I will make a tutorial.  It's a promise.  :)

Have a splendid day,

Debbie


18 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tranformation! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great piece...what a wonderful way to hold onto a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It looks fantastic and you did a wonderful job! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous...what a wonderful way to re-use an old crib!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THE BENCH IT TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL,, I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, IF THAT WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually like crib to bench transformations but, this one is stunning! Great design, great paint finish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, I wish we hadn't given our daughers' crib away now. :( Great job, Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! and it really is majestic. Quite the inspirational project. Visiting you from Miss Mustard Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, this is totally amazing. How genius. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this project! What a great idea! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your friend must have been thrilled with the finished bench. It turned out wonderful!
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever & beautiful. This is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOUS!!!! I must do this with my granddaughter's crib when she outgrows it. Thanks for sharing. (newest follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How gorgeous is that crib/bench!! I wish I lived near you so that you could do that with my old crib. It is from the 1950's ...the one myself and siblings slept in and then my daughters. It is sitting in the basement because I don't have the heart to throw it away! Pinning this as a favorite post. Visiting from The Scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is beautiful! I hope I find a crib like that.
    Marie @ www.fortledbetter.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous. Could you share what wax you used and paint colors. denisehuber@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm working on one now, and was curious as to how deep you made your seat for the bench? We figured out that 17-18 inches was great for the height, but can't decide on the depth (don't want it too narrow, or you can't get your "bum" comfortable; don't want too deep because it won't fit folks with shorter legs.)

    Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete